With more than one billion users, WhatsApp Messenger is the most popular messaging application in the world. It lets you send messages over an internet connection, rather than using your text allowance, saving you money on your phone bill. But you can also use it on your PC.
If you prefer a full-size keyboard or just like the convenience of the big screen, WhatsApp Web is one of the best features for you.
To get things started, visit web.whatsapp.com on your computer. The website will display a QR code, which can read on the WhatsApp mobile app. On your phone, tap the three dot menu in the top right corner, then select “WhatsApp Web” to launch the QR code reader. Now, scan the website’s QR code via your phone’s QR code reader and that’s it.
The biggest downside to WhatsApp Web is that it’s completely tethered to your phone. You can’t access it via your PC at work if you left your phone at home. Nevertheless, it’s still a better option than nothing.
- Open web.whatsapp.com on your computer using the web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari or Edge are compatible)
- Open the WhatsApp app on your phone by tapping on it
- If you are in a chat, navigate back to the main Chats screen and select Settings from the bottom menu
- Then select WhatsApp Web
- There will be a QR code (looks like a scrambled barcode) on the computer screen. Scan this using your phone
- WhatsApp will then open in your computer browser and you’ll be able to use it as to send messages as you would on your phone
- When you’ve finished your session, remember to log out. Click on the three-dot menu above the chats list on the left hand side of the screen
- Click on Log out at the bottom of the list