How to fix Error Code 0xc0000098
About the error 0xc0000098
During the start-up process, the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) is very essential to provide required information to load the operating system. If the Boot Configuration Data is missing or corrupted, Windows won’t be able to load operating system and gives you the error 0xc0000098.
1. Startup Repair
Startup Repair is a built-in tool to diagnose and repair some common problems on Windows. You may need to run Startup Repair (even 2 or 3 times).
1) Boot your PC from your setup disk (USB/DVD/CD).
2) Select Repair your computer and go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Repair.
3) Startup Repair will begin scanning your installation for known issues and will attempt a repair if it finds any.
4) If it fails, you can run Startup Repair again.
CHKDSK, short for “check disk”, aims to check disk and verify system files for any errors.
1) Boot your device from your installation media and go to Command Prompt.
2) Type the following command line and press Enter.
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- C: is the letter of the drive where Windows is installed, you can change it if you’ve installed it on another drive.
- r directs to find out the error.
- x symbolizes the volume that requires scanning.
3) CHKDSK will manage to fix the problems it finds.
4) Close Command Prompt and restart your device to check if Windows system can load up again.
3. System File Checker
he error 0xc0000098 can also be caused by missing or corrupt system files. System File Checker (SFC) can help you to restore the missing files and repair any problematic one.
1) Again go to Command Prompt and type the following command and hit Enter.
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
This command is slightly different from sfc /scannow because this is done so with a different installation of Windows (/offwindir=c:\windows) on a different drive (/offbootdir=c:).
2) Wait for the scan to finish.