Internet Download Manager (IDM) is a popular download manager for Windows. The only difference between IDM and other popular download managers is that IDM is a paid software which means that you need to buy it to use it.
Here are some solutions which you may try before contacting the IDM support team.
Tweaking IDM files
- Go to C:\Program Files\Internet Downlaod Manager or C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Downlaod Manager on a 64-bit computer
- Search and delete the file called IDMGrHlp.exe
- Now copy idmBroker.exe from the same folder and paste it in the same folder and rename it to IDMGrHlp.exe
- Restart the system for the changes to take effect
If you are still having problems and error messages are popping up, you may disable the automatic update function of IDM using the following methods:
Disable automatic updates in IDM
You can disable automatic updates of IDM using Windows Registry
- Go to Run –> regedit
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DownloadManager
- In the right hand pane, select CheckUpdtVM and edit its value to 0
Editing Hosts File to block IDM updates
- Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
- Open hosts file using a text editor like notepad
- Copy and paste these lines at the end of the HOSTS file:
Please note that this will disable the update function of Internet Download Manager. You will need to download the latest updates manually.